The West Knoxville neighborhood is roughly bounded by Kingston Pike on the south, Middlebrook Pike on the North, Weisgarber Road to the East and Walker Springs Road on the West. West Hills Estates is located to the Northwest of the original West Hills.
The Parade of Homes was held in West Hills in 1954 and featured many of the newer options in style and convenience. Electric radiant heat for the ceiling or floor was developed by Ceil Heat of Knoxville. Martin Bartling, later National President of the Home Builders Association, was one of the leaders in these home designs. The Hotpoint Living-Conditioned House was designed by Knoxville architect Bruce McCarty and constructed by Mr Bartling’s company. The Bartling family lived in the home after the parade. The home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
Most of the original homes in the area were one level, or one level with a basement, with brick traditional being the predominate style. The several homes build during the Bartling period were more modern, open living with more use of glass and concrete. Two story homes were then introduced adding to the diversity of home styles.
The neighborhood features large lots, mature trees, wide streets, and many amenities. The John Bynon Park runs east and west through the western end of the neighborhood. The 14 acre park includes several playgrounds, shelters, 4 ball fields, soccer field, eleven tennis courts, basketball and volleyball courts, Gazebo, horseshoe pits, tennis clubhouse with restrooms and showers, and abundant parking. The West Knoxville YMCA and pool complex is adjacent to the park. The park features the 1.9 mile paved Jean Teague Greenway walking path which is part of the overall Knoxville Greenway.
Most areas within the neighborhood offer immediate access to shopping and restaurants along Kingston Pike.